Wednesday 12 July 2017

Grungy Steampunk Light Bulb Card


Autumn with you today to share some techniques for a grungy steampunk card.  I simply adore this stamp set.  There are so many options for making your own backgrounds, as well as focal points.


I sponged the perimeter of my card base with Walnut Stain Distress Oxide, then flicked it with water to give some color variation.  I stamped the stripes with Vintage Photo over the sponging all the way around my card.


I created a second layer with different colored inks and stamped the dots in the same manner, but in the end didn't use it for this project.  For the top layer I tapped my inks onto my craft mat, spritzed with water, then dipped my panel repeatedly until I achieved the desired color.


I chose the Numbers stamp for this panel and stamped it with Fossilized Amber.  The trick to stamping with Distress Oxides is to lightly mist your paper after stamping to activate the chalkiness of the inks.


I dipped another panel in Fossilized Amber to stamp my lightbulbs.  I fussy cut each one and mounted the larger with double foam tape for additional dimension.


I dipped the die cut gears in my Oxides and glued them to my background.  TIP: Use dark colors of Oxides first then layer with lighter colors, as they will stand out more.


For my sentiment I dipped a panel in watery Vintage Photo and then stamped and fussy cut each line.  What fun this was!  I hope you are inspired to make some backgrounds of your own today.


Purchase your Shine Bright stamp set and Collectors Edition Numbers stamp today!


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pictorial. What does it mean when you "dip"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgiana, thanks for the comment. When you pat your ink pad onto the craft mat and spritz with water you can then "dip" your paper into the puddled ink. With Distress Oxides, I dip into one color at a time to avoid contamination of my pads. I dry each layer with my heat tool before dipping in the next color. I hope this makes sense. Happy stamping!

      Delete
  2. looks amazing..thanks for describing how you created it....loving my Oxides.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the grunge with the light bulb set Autumn and the browns and bluey lilac tones work beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have distress oxide envy! However many things I have in my stash, there's always one more to acquire! Gorgeous, grungy card, amazing texture, and I love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! I love the design and wonderful colours. I love Steampunk!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is a wonderful stamp set and you have used it beautifully Autumn, I just love how it 'shines' against the beautiful Oxide background - the sentiment is so lovely too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to get this stamp set Autumn so I am looking with one eye until my craft stash money has built up a little. Love your composition, the colours bond so well together. Always a delightful make when I visit, thank you so much for sharing.. Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to say Amen to what Anne said above--great use of those stamps and what a wonderful useful set it is! Autumn is the poster child for Oxides and there are so many great tips here all in one place! Thank you for the amazing tutorial and a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you sure have inspired me. Thank you for all the tips and the step by step. Great grungy project...Thank you x

    ReplyDelete