Tuesday 30 May 2017

Altered Composition Book Butterfly Collage using IndigoBlu Flutterby and Crackleglaze

Welcome IndigoBlu fans! We have some fantastic news for all those fans of rubber stamping in the US who love IndigoBlu stamps (or are maybe new to them?)


Topflight Stamps, LLC is a new Art Stamp Online Store. They are a US based company that carries Rubber and Clear Stamps from different countries around the world. Check them out for unique international stamps, including IndigoBlu. All US orders over $50 ship free.

We thought we'd share some inspiration, first seen back in April 2017, from US based designer and International Design Team Member Autumn Clark. She cleverly combined the Dinkie Flutterby and CrackleGlaze Background stamps to alter the cover of a composition book.


Autumn with you today to share some very fun techniques. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw THIS post by our Jenny Marples. Right away I ordered the Crackleglaze Background stamp.


I first tried to make a floral design like Jenny. I inked the background and colored the poppy from the Poppycock stamp set with Distress Inks. Next I layered on Super Thick Slap it On with a palette knife. I pressed the crackle stamp into the paste and quickly washed my stamp and let the panel dry. I went over with Distress Crayons blending with a baby wipe. I thought I would add some chunky embossing to the edges to mimic solder. Hmm, at this point I felt the entire project had grown rather dismal... So I cut a square out of the middle and decided to salvage the piece as a frame.


I inked some book page and card with Distress Oxide ink. I cut the circle dies from the inky card. I smooshed some card into Postbox Red paint and then dipped it into Distress Oxide, letting the ink flow down. I stamped the Flutterby stamp onto that panel then used the excess to cut a postage die. I used all of these elements to build my composition.


Here's a closeup shot of that lovely crackle effect.


I layered the butterfly over a purchased paper flower and bundled string.


All of the layers were raised with chipboard.


I added some staples for interest.


I curled the butterfly wings for even more dimension.


I glued a vintage button to a brad to adhere a second paper flower and layered over a die cut flower.


Here it is ready for my journaling and doodles. I hope you have fun experimenting with these techniques.


And here's some more inspiration from Autumn using the Dinkie Flutterby stamp;



Thank you for joining us here at the IndigoBlu blog to see Autumn's gorgeous projects - we are sure you'll now have some ideas of your own for using the Dinkie Flutterby and CrackleGlaze Background stamps, both of which are now available in the US from Topflight Stamps.

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, the frame is so eye catching and the butterfly sits perfectly. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness you worked your magic here Autumn! First up I'm so proud and honoured to have inspired you to create this beautiful cover. Secondly I love that you didn't give up when it wasn't going as you expected - using the crackle card as a frame has worked perfectly and I love the clever layering with the different colours and papers to help enhance that wow butterfly. May you have many happy hours working in this gorgeous journal and thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have shown us some wonderful techniques Autumn, the frame background is gorgeous, wish such wonderful texture - and I just adore that gorgeous butterfly!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do so hope that you kept the piece you cut out form the middle to use on something else. This is just awesome. I love the colours and that crackle effect is amazing. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Avril! It is already fussy cut and waiting! Great craft hoarders think alike! ;0

      Delete
  5. This project really is inspiring in so many ways, most important to me is how you repurposed the original piece and used what you made as an awesome frame! The way you used that indigoblu stamp is stunning and I think it would be really cool as just a stamped image as well (I have had very little luck with crackle and glazes and this would work every time! What a beautiful journal! I love your work. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Autumn this is fabulous!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both very pretty and so creative Autumn. I love the flower and then the distressed look of the journal cover and the pretty butterfly and flower on top. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous Autumn! I love the way your crackled frame turned out and he wonderful layers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely Stunning make by Autumn! Love her use of layers!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete